Legal assistance

Find out ways to get legal advice if you're representing yourself plus how to apply to a fund to get legal assistance.

Legal advice

If you are thinking about lodging a proceeding in the Environment Court, or joining a proceeding under section 274 of the Resource Management Act 1991 you should consider seeking legal advice. You can find an environment lawyer through the New Zealand Law Society, Resource Management Law Association or your local Community Law Centre.

Court staff can advise you on the court processes, but they cannot provide you with legal advice.

Environmental Legal Assistance Fund

The Ministry for the Environment has an Environmental Legal Assistance Fund. Applications can be made for assistance from the Fund to help pay for legal and other professional assistance in resource management litigation. The fund is only available to New Zealand environmental, community, iwi and hapū groups, not individuals.

Ministry for the Environment’s Environmental Legal Assistance Fund(external link)

This page was last updated: